Holy Spirit Hospital is a well-recognized medical facility in Makeni, a city in the Northern Region of Sierra Leone. In a country where there is an average of 4 qualified doctors for every 100,000 people, Holy Spirit Hospital offers the population of Makeni and the surrounding district 4 fully qualified and experienced doctors of medicine, backed up by 60 nursing and supporting staff who treat 300 in-patients and 12,000 out-patients per month.
Why Holy Spirit Hospital services are so vital
Sierra Leone, particularly in the northern country district, was severely damaged by the 11 years civil war that ended in 2002, leaving the local population with virtually no health care provision. The subsequent years have been notable for comprehensive peace building efforts and for significant achievements in re-establishing community facilities.
Despite these efforts, the economic situation remains extremely challenging, aggravated by the high incidence of malaria, hepatitis B and HIV. The Ebola epidemic of 2014-6 had an enormous impact on the hospital, and it is still recovering.
Our Hospital People
|Medical Director Dr Patrick E Turay leads a team of four fully qualified and experienced doctors of medicine, backed up by 60 nursing and supporting staff as they strive to meet the special needs of the local community, with a focus on:|
• Tropical Medicine
• HIV/AIDS – Voluntary Confidential Counselling and Testing, and treatment using anti-retroviral drugs
• Microsurgery, sponsored by Resurge Africa
• Maternity services in our new unit.
Services and Facilities
Current Services at HSH.
|Outpatient, echo, radiology, and Lab||Monday – Friday 8am to 4pm, & Saturday 8am to 2pm|
|Inpatient services including Maternity||open 24hrs|
|Diabetes clinic||Every Wednesday|
The Holy Spirit Hospital is owned and managed by the Catholic Diocese of Makeni. Running a hospital in a poor impoverished nation is a very difficult task. Fortunately, the hospital is heavily subsidised with support from many generous sponsors, some of which are listed here.
|Would YOU like to offer your free time and gain some tropical experience in medicine?|
The Holy Spirit Hospital is the place to consider.
WHAT HOLY SPIRIT HOSPITAL CAN OFFER:
• Pick up from and to the airport
• Accommodation, and a collaborative, serene environment to work in.
• Orientation to our existing system
• Offer for any volunteer will be determined by the Hospital Management.
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Inter Care | Providing Medical Aid for Africa | UKThird shipping container from Inter Care UK arrives safely. The contents are worth £150,000 and are 100% donated! Dr Patrick Turay, lead Doctor at the Holy Spirit Hospital will distribute the health care…
- The Maternity UnitThe Holy Spirit Maternity unit is fully operational and fully equipped with ultra-modern equipment. With the presence of Dr. Mugisha, Obstetrician/Gynaecologist, in the maternity unit for the past five months, the patients usage…
- InterCare UKInterCare, UK based NGO has been very supportive to the hospital with donation of drugs and medical supplies over the years. A 20ft container of assorted medical supplies was donated in July 2019…
- X-ray MachineThe hospital received a Digital Philips X-ray Machine donated by The Foundation of Orthopedics and Complex Spine (FOCOS), USA. The X-ray room was refurbished and was officially open to the public in March…